Thursday, March 28, 2013

Yes, The End Of Term Can Be Inspiring In A Way

Yay! The Spring Term ended yesterday! It's Easter hols! Whoa, this is great. I'm two-thirds of the way through Year 7! It feels like only yesterday when I was having my meet-your-new-class day, my end-of-primary-school prom and my final primary summer holiday. And that sounds all gushy and enjoy-schooly, but don't think I wasn't happy when the term was finally over! Seriously, I lay on my bed listening to Taylor Swift and screaming about it being holidays all the time before my mum got back from posting eBay items! Even though we haven't even being doing much the last few days, just shopping for presents and getting my hair cut :( (but I guess it's all for holidays to America tomorrow :))!

I'm not going to lie, there will be millions of things about school I'll crave the lack of during the next two-and-a-half weeks. Getting stickies in your Geography book when the only correction is a non-underlined title, the endless cries of "not enough work is getting done here" in Maths, not to mention our epically unrehearsed fail at House Music on the last day of term, the list goes on...AAAAARGH!!! But obviously there are mixed feelings: I'll miss (slightly) the select subjects at school I like (i.e. English, History, Spanish etc., you get my taste in school subjects) and of course I will miss my absolutely epic friends (I shout out to those of my little minions - just joking - reading this, you are awesome, every one of you, and I can't wait to see you all again!). But yeah. Focus on the positives. School's over (for a few weeks anyway)!

But this term has been one where I've thought a lot about symbolism, inspiration, memories and all that jazz (sorry, I know it's a cliché, but it still sounds awesome!). I don't know why, but it's probably a mixture of Taylor Swift songs, philosophically enriching blogs and me generally maturing that's made me think in this deep way. But as I was saying, I've naturally applied this way of thinking to what the end of term means to me. I thought of intense happiness, and I thought of grief, and I thought of a mixture of both. But there was one feeling that stood out: inspiration (a word that my Geography teacher patronisingly asked us a few weeks back if we knew what it meant). You feel inspired and motivated that you've pushed down the doors of the term and not broken down in stress at that pile of homework over there you've got for the weekend, but there's also all the memories of the term, academic or not, that you can always look back on and surely utter an inch of a smile. That's another kind of inspiring. And I have to admit that I had both types of end-of-term inspiration this time. 
-DP :)
PS Here's artist Roy Hoes' jazzy impression of inspiration in our home city (this image isn't mine). Particularly love the way reflected coloured light is depicted on the skyscraper windows.



No comments:

Post a Comment